There are more than 3,500 species of cockroaches that belong to six different families. Cockroaches can be found in almost all parts of the world, including the Hampton Roads area. Roaches tend to feed on old, rotting substances that contain bacteria and possibly viruses. These nasty bugs then carry the diseases and viruses into your home!
Things That Attract Roaches
They are commonly found near waste deposits or in the kitchen, where food is present. Some people believe that cockroach problems will take care of themselves, or if you haven’t seen all that many cockroaches there is no need to worry. If you see one roach in your home, it is more than likely that there are more. Most cockroaches like dark, moist, warm environments that will provide water and food sources. If this describes your home, you may have a problem.
Many of the substances that roaches feed on are already contaminated and/or rotting, and as the cockroach moves from one location to another it spreads the disease along the way.
Cockroaches are known to carry diseases such as but not limited to:
- Dysentery: A disorder of the digestive system that results in severe diarrhea containing mucus and blood in the feces. If left untreated, dysentery can and usually will be fatal.
- Typhoid: An infectious bacterial fever with an eruption of red spots on the chest and abdomen and severe intestinal irritation.
- Poliomyelitis: An infectious viral disease (often called polio) that affects the central nervous system and can cause temporary or permanent paralysis.
- Gastroenteritis: Inflammation of the stomach and intestines, typically resulting from bacterial toxins or viral infection and causing vomiting and diarrhea.
- Streptococcus: A bacterium of a genus that includes the agents of souring of milk and dental decay, and hemolytic pathogens causing various infections such as scarlet fever and pneumonia.
- E. coli: A Gram negative bacterium that is commonly found in the lower intestine that can cause serious food poisoning.
- Hepatitis B: A severe form of viral hepatitis transmitted in infected blood, causing fever, debility, and jaundice.
- Plague: A contagious bacterial disease characterized by fever and delirium, typically with the formation of buboes and sometimes infection of the lungs.
- Cholera: An infectious and often fatal bacterial disease of the small intestine causing severe vomiting and diarrhea.
As you can see from the dangerous diseases and viruses listed above, cockroach infestation is nothing to mess around with. Protect your family and pets by hiring the professionals.
If you live in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, or Norfolk and you have roach infestation, call Zap Pest Control at (757) 495-3626 immediately! We use EcoPCO® Technologies’ organic products to leave your home roach-free and safe for your family and the environment!